Consumer/Family Advisory Committee
The Vision of the Consumer/Family Advisory Committee is for a
Behavioral Health System in Region 5 in which
Consumers, Family, Organizations and Communities
work together in partnership to promote recovery
and ensure positive change to reduce stigma,
support independent choices, and to
treat consumers with both dignity and respect.
Mission. The mission of the Coalition is helping to improve the quality of life for consumers and family members affected by mental illness, substance abuse, or problem gambling.
Purpose. The purpose of the Coalition is to promote the interests of behavioral health of consumers and their families. Coalition membersʼ efforts may include, but are not limited to, encouraging involvement in all aspects of governance, service design, planning, implementation, provision, education, evaluation, and research related to behavioral health issues.
In 2004, Nebraska’s State Legislature adopted LB 1083, the Nebraska Behavioral Health Services Act, which identified the following purposes:
- Ensure services are consumer focused;
- Create services that emphasize beneficial outcomes based on recovery principles; and
- Ensure consumer involvement in all aspects of service planning and delivery.
Region V’s Consumer Specialist coordinates a “Consumer/Family Coalition”; it is through these activities that Region V Systems ensures reform is consumer led. Recovery principles are also adopted at all levels of the system.
Consumer involvement coordination works to:
- Increase consumer and family involvement;
- Support the interests and development of consumers;
- Provide new opportunities for consumers to learn leadership skills
- Gain experience in developing partnerships.